Weekly Notes: August 5, 2011
Check This Out:
- 20 Scents That Secretly Defined Your Childhood. Warning: may cause a nostalgia overdose.
- The Envisioning Development Toolkit. Upper East Side Manhattan median income = $178,000. Just next door, East Harlem median income = $29,000.
- The Interconnected World of Tech Companies. Inbreeders.
- US Debt Visualized: Stacked in $100 bills. On a related note: The Chart That Should Accompany All Discussions of the Debt Ceiling.
Look at This:
- Mozambique’s “Trash Land.” On a somewhat-related note,: A “Wastelandscape” made of 65,000 discarded CDs.
- Ellis Island’s Abandoned Hospital
- Dorothea Lange’s Depression-Era Photography
- The US-Mexican border
- I Wish I Was Older. It’s all downhill from here.
- Forty Fords – a tribute to mumblecore king, Mr. Harrison Ford.
- Brilliantly pointless street fliers. People have way too much time on their hands. What?
- How the Film Industry’s Big Budgets Are Killing Movie Theaters
- 6 Technologies Conspicuously Absent from Sci-Fi Movies. Someone please remake The Road with bicycles.
- 5 Amazing Abandoned Wastelands … Within Walking Distance
- Big Oil’s Dirty Secret: There’s a Serious Spill Almost Daily in America
Listen to This:
- Blackfilm – Midnight to 4AM
- Washed Out – Soft
- Kristin Rule – Nature of Reality
- Lisa Hannigan – I Don’t Know
- The band Our Ceasing Voice asked me to post a download link to their new release ‘Live’ on our blog, so here it is.
- LA Light
- Porcelain Unicorn