weekly notes: december 10, 2010
before you waste your time with our weekly links, take a minute or two (it’s only 4 questions!) to fill out our survey! help us make the show a more enjoyable listen for everyone.
now, commence wasting your time.
check this out:
- hold your own fashion show with google.
- the solution to onion tears? bread.
- the bend desk. completely useless and completely awesome.
- adaptive prosthetic limbs. completely useful and completely awesome.
- drive the speed limit and get paid. i still don’t know if i could do it.
look at this:
- well done hdr photographs.
- pearl harbor 69 years ago.
- world map of social networking. facebook = big brother.
- apparently, we’ve all been pooping in fish heaven.
- 20 most awesomely untranslatable words from around the world. 20-part podcast series anyone? i just may.
- 20 obsolete english words that need to make a comeback. it’s settled, i’m bringing brannigan back.
- top top 10 lists of 2010.
- 10 most underrated women in history.
- all these criterion top 10 lists gave me the urge to put on my filmdouche hat and write up a list of my own. so based off the 556 films in the criterion collection, here’s my top 10 (top 16 really, but who cares?):
1b. seven samurai, rashomon
1c. yojimbo, the bad sleep well, ran, throne of blood
have i mentioned i’m a big kurosawa fan?
2. the thin red line
3. in the mood for love
4. modern times
5. bicycle thieves
6. the third man
8a. band of outsiders
9. ace in the hole
10. withnail and i
EDIT: this gave me the urge to come up with a list of the worst movies ever and all i can think about is how much i fucking hate crash.
listen to this:
- washed out – you and i
- [the] slowest runner [in all the world] – zoe machete control
- st. kilda – the sirens
- 250 movie introductions
- egyptian maths
- how crayons are made